Saturday, April 11, 2009

Positive Experience

I had my first acupuncture and body work treatment this morning. It all began with filling out a form that gave the acupuncturist initial information about my history, areas of concern, and my goals for treatment. She went over her training and background which made me feel more confident about choosing her to treat me. After I explained all that I had been through with my health and all the treatments we had undergone with fertility, she gave me an idea of her plan of treatment to begin with. The reason I say begin with is because based on my feedback, she will adjust my treatment accordingly. She explained that I have dampness which is important to address along with building up my immune system, and once I become pregnant, she will want to focus on my kidneys.
The session began with her looking at my tongue, feeling my pulse in three places on both wrists. Then she performed Chi Nei Tsang which is an ancient form of abdominal massage that is great for fertility. It was rather uncomfortable to say the least. She explained that my abdominal area was extremely tight which doesn't give much room for a baby. She could also tell that I felt bloated. The goal is to work the area to become loose. She really worked that area today. Right now it feels like I did some major ab crunches. Next, she worked on my spine. It felt like she was pinching my spine from the base all the way up to my neck. She massaged my shoulder area and commented that I am rather tight there too. It's where I tend to hold all my stress and tension. She did this twice before doing moxibustion along that same area. Finally she did the acupuncture treatment using at least 15 needles in my feet, legs, abdomen, hands, arms, right ear, and forehead. I tried to remember all the points so I could look them up in my "Infertility Cure" book to see what those points targeted. Sure enough it was all the necessary areas we discussed. After inserting the needles, she did a round of moxibustion on some of the areas - feet, abdomen and legs. I felt a wave in my abdomen and a burning sensation from my left hand and right lower leg. I rested there for about 15 minutes before she removed the needles. After she removed the needles from my right ear, I felt a tingling sensation going down the section behind my right ear. I felt very relaxed. She explained that even after removing the needles, I will feel the effects of treatment for at least the next few days.
After the treatment, she gave me some water to drink and advised that I continue to drink lots of water and take it easy. We scheduled my next appointment for Saturday. She recommended that I continue to work on my deep breathing and drink PMS tea twice a day as I am expecting AF in the next week or so.
I ate a light lunch, took my vitamins, and drank a cup of tea. All of a sudden I felt tired. I ended up taking a 2 1/2 hour nap! I never take naps which was interesting. What will be equally interesting is if I'll be able to fall asleep tonight since I took such a long nap. The few times that I have taken an afternoon nap, I had difficulty falling asleep at night. But, as I sit here drinking my second cup of tea, I find myself getting tired again.

5 comments:

poppy.f.seed said...

That is great you got that massage. It worked wonders for my friend.
I always feel so relaxed after an acupuncture session.

babyplease said...

Hi Poppy,
What did it to for your friend? My abdominal area is very tender today from the massage. I'm hoping it will all be worth it. :)Are you still doing acupuncture? I've heard it works wonders with morning sickness.

Amy Jensen said...

I haven't tried the acupuncture. you'd think after all the IVF I wouldn't be afraid of needles...but I know plenty of people who say it works wonders for them. My stepsister swears it helped get them pregnant. If nothing else the extra relaxation is good on so many levels. Very cool!

babyplease said...

Don't feel bad Amy...I was little hesitant because of the needle thing. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Only certain ones hurt when the needle was inserted, but then the pain disapates and you don't even feel it.

Amy Jensen said...

Keep us up to date on how it's making you feel. One of these days I'll give it a try.