Sunday, May 16, 2010

Our Miracle

This weekend has been an unbelievable whirlwind. It only validated my belief that everything happens for a reason.
Last weekend, dh and I decided to go to the home improvement store to buy wood to make a raised garden bed for my herb and vegetable garden. We went to the first store and found what we needed, but dh likes to shop around, so we went to another store. I left him in the lumber department and went to the garden department. While in the garden department, I got a phone call. He got hurt when a piece of lumber fell and hit him on the head. He ended up with a gash on his forehead that required 6stitches. The stitches needed to be removed 5 days later which was the day before we were going to fly out to see the RE for an IVF consulation. Dh had requested to finish work earlier in the day so he could get his stitches removed. Luckily he did because when he got home, there was a message on our answering machine from the RE's office. The RE got into an accident and they needed to reschedule. We were in shock. While we we hoped that the RE was okay, we had already prepaid for our planned trip that would have been for nothing. Dh returned the call to the RE's office and asked if there was anyway to accommodate us since we were making a special trip to see them. They were able to accommodate us and we were scheduled to see the RE's colleague. As unfortunate as it was, had dh not gotten stitches and needed to finish work early, we wouldn't have known until it was too late about the cancelled RE appointment.
So everything was back on schedule. We met with the RE who discussed two options - IVF or doing injectable iui's. We didn't know what to do. She decided to do a baseline ultrasound and I jokingly told her maybe she might find something in there. I was a couple days late which wasn't a big deal. She suggested taking a pregnancy test too which is standard procedure for them. I gave my urine sample and went out to speak with the woman who handles the health insurance. While we were talking, dh said he noticed the doctor looked a little flushed and was pacing back and forth. She listened as the woman and I were talking and then interrupted us to say that we may not need the health insurance coverage for IVF afterall...the pregnancy test was POSITIVE! We were all in a state of shock. I immediately took a blood test just to confirm the pregnancy, she gave me a script for progesterone suppositories, and told me she would call with the results as soon as possible. A few hours later, she called again to congratulate us. The hcg results were 133 (they hope for 50-100) and my progesterone was 12.2 which was a little on the low side. So she advised me to fill the prescription for progesterone. I began taking the progesterone that evening and will continue to take it probably for my first trimester (100mg twice a day).
We just arrived home today and are still in a cloud of disbelief. I took a home pregnancy test this afternoon just to see for myself. Here it is:

I had to do a second beta test this morning before we flew home and we find out the results tomorrow. I pray that the numbers are multiplying and the baby is healthy and strong. It's still very early so we are being cautiously optimistic. We keep telling ourselves to take it a day at a time. It's been 9 years since I was last pregnant at all and this time it was natural. Dear Poppy posted something a while ago that I will keep telling myself..."today is a good day because I'm pregnant." Wise words to focus on.

1 comment:

poppy.f.seed said...

oh my, I am so happy for you and hope this baby thrives. Hurrah!