Monday, July 4, 2011

IVF #2

It's been 3 years since our 1st IVF and over a year since my miscarriage. We decided to try one last time. Earlier this year I had accepted the idea that having a family of our own may not be in the cards after 11 1/2 years of infertility. I woke up one morning feeling at peace with the idea. Dh and I weren't giving up altogether, but had finally come to terms with it. That is until I went to my "wellness woman" appointment in April. Dh had already had an appointment scheduled for the end of April to see a urologist. Something he had never done before. When I went to my appointment, I saw a nurse practitioner that I had never seen before, so she reviewed my entire medical history with me. She suggested that I go and see the clinic's new ob/gyn who might be able to tell me why I haven't been able to get pregnant on my own so easily or carry a pregnancy to term. The cynical part of me thought what could she tell me that I don't already know or that my other OB didn't tell me. But it compelled me to seek her help and the wheels started turning. Dh and I went to see her together. We didn't learn anything new. We did tell her that Dh went to see a urologist and everything turned out okay. She suggested doing another round of IVF and ordered a bunch of tests to update my record.

Fast forward to June 29th...I saw the RE for a day 3 check. I thought they would have done blood work, but it was just an u/s to check my uterus size and lining, and ovarian reserve. We were told during our consultation a couple weeks earlier that it might be better to wait until August/September to do IVF. Given the school year begins in August, I was a little worried, but went along with the idea. Well, at the day 3 check, the RE counted a total of approximately 27 follicles, more on the right ovary than the left. Because my ovarian reserve looked better than they expected considering my age (almost 38), they said we could move forward with IVF #2 in July. So the adventure begins...I started birth control pills and baby aspirin on Thursday. I'm scheduled for an SIS this Thursday and DH and I have to do HIV testing along with a semen analysis.

What's different this time around...we're seeing an RE for this IVF, we told our family and friends in the hopes that more positive thoughts and prayers will make this more successful. Most everyone knows our struggle with having a family, but the last time we didn't tell anyone outside of our immediate family about IVF in case it didn't work. Everyone that knows is so supportive and really rooting for us.

No comments: