Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Should we or shouldn't we?

I'm so confused. The RE called to ask if we wanted to do PGD or not. Kaiser usually doesn't cover the procedure and it would cost us approximately $5k on top of the IVF cost. I asked him what the reason would be for PGD and he explained that they would remove a cell from the embryo to test for any chromosomal abnormality. If there were an abnormality it may eliminate or lower the possibility of another miscarriage. The cost alone is a huge factor that is telling me no. But there's a part of me that wonders if it's the right decision. Should we take the chance?

I've looked up PGD on-line and there seems to be pros and cons about it. Some have posted their experiences on fertility boards about it. Two people said to be prepared to not end up with any embryos to transfer after PGD while others have been thankful they did it because they now have a beautiful baby. I am going to be 38 this month and have suffered 2 recurrent miscarriages which is why he is probably recommending PGD. However, the karyotyping test dh and I took both came back normal, along with the lupus anticoagulant antibody test, anticardiolipin antibody test, and serum phosphitidylserine test. I'm not sure what to do.

No comments: