Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Belated Update of Hope

I thought I posted an update after my appointment last week Wednesday with the dr. The appointment was what I anticipated it to be...closure and a review of the IVF. Dr. C with his awesome bedside manner took one look at me and knew I was very disappointed with the outcome of our first IVF. He asked if I felt like giving up and I was honest with him...I did. Prior to going to meet with him, I told Ryan that I wasn't sure I could go through this again and have this result. It was a little bit of the physical but mostly the emotional side that made this really tough. He asked me to give him one more chance to help us get pregnant. I felt that he was really sincere when he said that he knows he can get me pregnant especially since I got pregnant before with our first IUI. He explained that he believed I had some bad eggs which probably explains why I miscarried with our first IUI. Miscarriages during the first trimester are usually attributed to some chromosomal defect. He said my eggs looked fine when they were retrieved. He had the embryologist take a look at them prior to fertilization. He then showed me pictures of the embryos that we didn't transfer. They left them in the media to watch what happened. Looking at the pictures, the embryos didn't look so good. He said if he had the opportunity to do another IVF on me, the only thing he would do differently is to put half in a different media because some embryos don't do well in the media they use even though it's supposed to be a very good media with a high success rate.

In the meantime, he suggested we do a couple more IUIs within the next two months because many women get pregnant within two cycles following an IVF cycle. So he did an ultrasound that day to check for any cysts that might have developed during the IVF cycle. There weren't any so he prescribed 5mg of Femara from cycle day 3 to 7, and 500mg of Metformin from cycle day 3 to 10 and then 1000mg from cycle day 11 on. I was thrilled about starting the Metformin as it is something new that we are trying. I wasn't so thrilled about the Femara because of the side effects. I was tired all day and suffered through constant headaches. Thank goodness I finished it a couple of days ago so I'm feeling a little better. So far I haven't experienced any side effects from the Metformin. We'll see how I feel tomorrow after I increase the dosage. Tomorrow I'll be going in for another ultrasound to check my follicle growth. Hopefully there's more than one follicle.

No comments: