Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going On An Easter Egg Hunt

Egg retrieval day has finally arrived. I know my mom was quietly worrying about whether or not she gave me the hcg trigger shot correctly. Judging by the side effects I had experienced yesterday (i.e. ovulatory pain, swelling), I knew she had to have done it correctly. Well, today's egg retrieval proved that she did do a very good job on Wednesday night.
We left for the dr's office at about 6:30am after poor Ryan had to independently provide his sample. It was a little stressful worrying about arriving on time for our 7:15am appointment and making sure we got the specimen to the lab within an hour especially not knowing what morning traffic would look like. Thankfully, we arrived at the office at 7:00am.
At 7:15, Loreen called me in and took all the necessary steps to prep me (i.e. weight, temperature, blood pressure) and then she went over the instructions for the egg transfer.
5/16/08
  • They will call us to let us know how many eggs have been fertilized
  • Begin taking 81mg of baby aspirin every night at bedtime

5/17/08

  • Start progesterone in oil injections in the morning (50mg)
  • Apply two Vivelle dots (0.1mg) to my abdomen and change every other day

5/18/08

  • Limit fluid intake 2-3 hours before the transfer
  • Bed rest for the next 48 hours

5/27/08 and 5/29/08

  • beta tests

After going over these instructions, they had me use the bathroom and led me to the egg retrieval room. I was introduced to the anesthesiologist who placed the IV in my right arm, attached the blood pressure cuff to my left arm and placed three sticky probe looking things on my chest area. Once the dr. came in, he put my legs in the stirrups and placed the speculum inside while the anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask over my mouth. Right after that, he started the anesthesia. It must've been a minute or so and I was out for the best cat nap ever.

While in recovery, they told me how I said I was hungry right before I went to sleep which I don't remember saying. The dr. said he actually had to carry me to the room and onto the table to rest which makes sense since I was so groggy and don't even remember getting on the table myself. Everyone said that the egg retrieval went very well. They were able to retrieve 15 eggs! Ryan and I were pleasantly surprised. I was expecting only the 8 or so that the dr. had been measuring over the past week. Before we left the office, we were able to speak with the dr and ask him about the egg transfer. He said that because Ryan's morphology was borderline at 7%, he's decided to ICSI all the mature eggs to make sure we get as many fertilized as possible. They will call us sometime tomorrow to let us know how many fertilized. I then asked him about the number of embryos we'll be allowed to transfer and he said it would depend on the number of good fertilized eggs and how well they do. If we do a 3-day transfer on Sunday, then he will transfer 3 embryos. If we do a 5-day transfer on Tuesday, then he will transfer 2 embryos.

In the meantime, we'll keep our fingers and toes crossed that we get as many fertilized eggs that grow into strong, healthy embryos for transfer and freeze.

No comments: